We are working on: readiness for middle school, proficient skill building in basic Language Arts and Math skills. We are also working on motivating units in Social Studies and Science, hands on learning, multiple intelligences, brain based learning and developing consideration for others.
These are just some of the underlying themes that Division Two concentrates on through out the year. For more information, please read this article, What to Expect in Grade 5.
Mrs. Brookes endeavors to create the kind of environment that enables students to be the best they can be and motivates them to do their best. Please feel free to email me with any questions I check my emails early morning and in the evening M-F. email@example.com
This term we will be working on: (there are also other topics that are not included)
Some useful sites that we will be using and visiting are: click on the links below
- Basic numeracy skills of adding, subtracting multiplying and dividing
- Place value
- Number patterns
- Double and triple digit + – x /
- Problem solving
- Weekly graph – Power of ten strategies and card games
- How many ways
- Fractions, decimals and percent
· Spelling word list – words given on Monday – sentences or other word activities due Tuesday. Spelling City activities can be done at home during the week to practice for the spelling test every Friday.
- Silent reading every day
- Novel studies – White Jade Tiger/Secret World of Og/Julie of the Wolves/Lion the witch and the wardrobe (choices of others as well)
- Picture books – several a week
- Home reading
- Reading Strategies and Comprehension
- Grammar, punctuation, writing topics, journal writing
- Current events, newspaper usage, editing skills
- Novel projects 5 due before May 30th
- Human body systems
- The brain
- Renewable and non-renewable resources
- Immigration to Canada
- Canada’s political geography and landforms
- Canada’s government sytems
- French food – restaurant ordering
- Greetings, conversation, basic needs and politeness
Career/health and Personal Planning
- Goal setting
- Personal evaluation
- Health discussions and goals
- Internet safety
- Many other topics for weekly discussion
- Gym – Monday, Tuesday, Thursday – please have indoor runners to keep our floors scratch and grit free
- Floor hockey, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, basketball
- Games – cooperative and competitive games
- Stretching, warm ups, cool downs
- Running – goal – to run an 8 min mile or 1.61 km in 8 minutes. Can we do it?
Fitness runs happen Wednesday and Fridays at 9:00 – join us !
- Our loop through Rosedale Park is 0.67 km from our classroom and around the out side of the tennis court and back.